vrijdag 2 november 2007

Observation

I wanted to tell some people
about an observation I had.
It wasn't really serious or funny.
It was just an observation.
But they told me to shut up
and have a piece of cake from Jan
who is 61 years old today
and planning to retire next year.
Of course, I don't mind having one
so I ate my cake and listened
to these two people trying hard
to be themselves, being funny.
It suddenly came to me
that the two were drunk
but I don't smell or see alcohol.
So I told them what I thought.
That it wasn't such a bad idea
to be drunk without drinking.
To be feeling good and happy
without having to spend money.
And not being fired for being drunk
at the job and being funny.
Without showing any annoyance,
they told me to start moving
and do my assigned task
while they made the preparations.
That was fine with me.
So I hastened to the plant
to disconnect my instrument.
I felt they must be forgetting
something but I wasn't sure.
Anyway, I carried on my work.
I was ready to leave at noon
when my chief stopped me
and asked if he could have a word.
He told me this was the second time
he warned me about not making
funny remarks or jokes at work.
Already I knew what had happened.
These two guys at the control panel
must have made some mistake
it almost tripped a machine.
And they were blaming me.
Well, I tried to protest
but my boss wouldn't listen.
He wouldn't listen to anybody.
He heard what he wanted to hear
and said what he wanted to say.
He called my manager to complain.
We'll see about that next week.